Guinea Pig Fun Facts
Did you Know?
- Unlike most rodents, guinea pigs are not nocturnal. Instead, they prefer taking mini naps during the daytime.
- Guinea pigs are not related to pigs.
- Guinea pigs are originally from South America.
- Unlike most rodents, guinea pigs are born with their eyes open and a full coat of fur.
- Guinea pigs can develop social relationships with people or other animals, such as cats, dogs, and rabbits.
- A guinea pig is also called a cavy.
- A male guinea pig is a boar, a female guinea pig is a sow, and a baby guinea pig is called a pup.
- Guinea pigs are experimented with for drug research.
- When happy, guinea pigs purr like a cat.
- Although guinea pigs cannot jump, they like to "popcorn." Popcorning occurs when guinea pigs get excited. They often jump about a few inches in the air. They also run around in circles.
- Guinea pigs' front teeth are open rooted, so they are constantly growing. They need a chewing object (a tree branch or chewing block) to trim their teeth.
- Guinea pigs play the role of an evil spirit collector for traditional healing rituals for some South American communities.
- Guinea pigs were first introduced as exotic pets.